Friday 30 September 2016

Sweet Potato Banana Bread

Pin It!


I don't bake much as I find baking to be a little to fussy with all the measuring etc. Plus sweet is not my first taste either but I knew I needed to use up my very over ripe bananas and left over sweet potato. I wanted to make something other than a smoothie with them so banana bread with a twist it was going to be. 
Not only did this turn out very moist, the topping I made for it really made this loaf even more delicious.
I gotta say even sweet, I'm lov'n this recipe and I was the first to dig in.



Loaf Ingredients:

Wet mix:
3 ripe bananas ( 1 3/4 cups )
1 sweet potato ( 3/4 cup )
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil

Dry mix:
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon 

Topping Ingredients

1 cup pineapple
1/2 cup walnuts
1 tsp vegan butter
1 tsp coconut sugar
**use organic when possible 

Method:

Boil or bake the sweet potato till tender. Once cooled remove its skin.
Heat oven to 350 F.
Grease a loaf pan with vegan butter.
Mash banana & sweet potato in a bowl. Set aside.
Melt coconut oil and add it plus the sugar to the mash. 
Mix well. 
In a separate bowl add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt & cinnamon. 
Mix well. 
Add the dry mix to the wet mix and stir until it's all blended.
Pour the loaf mix in your pan and spread out so its evenly dispursed. 

For the topping, Heat a small pan on medium low heat and add the 1 tsp of vegan butter then add the pineapple and sugar. 
Cook for about 5 minutes. 
Place the  walnuts in a mixer and chop into small pieces  and set aside. 
After the 5 minutes are up, add the pineapple mix to the walnuts and blend till the pineapple becomes a mash. 
Now spread the pineapple topping evenly over the loaf. 


Bake for 60 minutes. 


Poke with a toothpick or a wooden skewer, if it comes out dry it's done.

**note if you don't have sweet potato you can use butternut squash, pumpkin or more banana.

Serve & Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment