Saturday 15 March 2014

Miso Marinated Tofu



Ingredients

1 brick of extra firm tofu ( I use one from the 3 pack from Costco )
1/3 cup miso paste ( I used Shiro Miso )
2 tbsp rice vinegar
3 tbsp coconut sugar
2 tsp grated fresh ginger root
2 tbsp Braggs liquid soy
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp almond milk ( plain )



* use organic when possible*
I use mostly organic ingredients. Instead of always mentioning which ones they are like I did in earlier posts, I find it simpler just to say the above * use organic when possible * FYI :)

 This is the Costco package I buy. I like these especially because they are thin which means they absorb any flavor you wish to use so much quicker & deeper.

Method
Squeeze the tofu of all it's water. Some use towels with something heavy on top to squeeze the water out. I'm not so patient ☺️, I just squeeze the water out by hand over the sink. Be careful though as you can break the tofu brick into pieces. 💪
Add all the marinade ingredients to a bowl and mix well. Then add it with the tofu brick to a glass container and let marinade for at least 3 hours or all day or even better, overnight. Turn the container a few times during the time it's marinating to allow the tofu to be covered completely.
Set the oven on broiler when the tofu is ready to eat. Turn the tofu over once the top side has browned approx 5 minutes. Once second side turns brown, remove from broiler. You can brown it in a pan too. Whichever system you use, when down drizzle with left over marinade and sprinkle with black sesame seeds.
*** some other recipe ideas***

I was pre-making roasted beets & sweet potatoe today for tomorrow's lunch and after I made the tofu I heated up the marinade and added it to the beets then topped it onto the sweet potatoe and yum!!! 
Tasted so good. 

The roasted beets were seasoned with olive oil and a little sprinkle of coconut sugar & a sprinkle of salt.
Mixed warm with the marinade.



The roasted sweet potatoes were seasoned with olive oil, tandoori masala & cajun spice.
Drizzle with the marinade.


This marinade is very versatile. It can also be used on salads or even substituted for your favourite peanut sauce recipes. 


Soy foods ( like tofu ) are a great meat substitute. A nice switch for those wanting to try something new or wanting to cut down on their meat consumption. Part of the fun of cooking is trying something new. Go ahead, you have nothing to lose-- oh wait yes you do- loads of cholesterol :) for this recipe that is.!

Hope you enjoy and my you be Nutritionally Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment