Wednesday 15 April 2015

Stuffed Brussel Sprouts

Pin It!

Cooked up this amazing idea I came across a few weeks ago. I finally got around to making them. From all the ways I've prepared brussel sprouts how come I didn't think of this? Clever it is. I wish I knew where I came across this idea to give them kudos. 
However this is what I came up with.

For the stuffing I used a recipe I posted earlier in the blog called fettuccini with vegan ground beef & tomato sauce. You can find that also under the headings "Vegan" & "Gluten Free" for the other recipe I posted with it if you like.  Here's the recipe 

Vegan ground "beef" ingredient's

3 lrg garlic cloves
2 cups cremini mushrooms
1/4 cup yellow onion
1/2 cup whole walnuts
1tsp grated ginger
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp braggs liquid soy
salt & pepper to taste
**use organic when possible
Yields 1 1/2 cups.                           

Method 

Heat a cast iron pan ( or a pan of your choice ) on med/high heat.
Add mushrooms, onion & garlic to your processor and pulse till resembles a crumb like texture. Careful not to puree. If you do it won't take on the hardy ground meat like texture. But it's not a total loss, still use it.
Add a little extra virgin olive oil to your hot pan and now add the mushroom mix.
Chop the walnuts up in the same blender until it resembles a larger crumb like texture.
Add walnuts, grated ginger, liquid soy & the salt & pepper.
Allow the mix to brown, the higher the heat the quicker of course, just keep moving it around the pan like you would ground meat. Flipping and chopping through the mix with your spatula.


   Preparing the brussel sprouts
---boil till almost tender, rinse in cold water, drain, slice in half, scoop out a small section, fill with the above  vegan ground beef top with panko bread crumbs, spray all sprouts with olive oil to crisp up the crumbs, bake at 400F for approx 20 minutes. Use the scooped out brussel sprouts in another recipe. 
**tip**give each little sprout a quick squeeze to get more of its water out. This will help them crisp up a bit more in the oven.

The brussel sprout prep was a bit tedious I must say, but what a fun idea. I think it makes for a nice appie and/or side dish. Hope you give this a try whether my filling or yours but mostly may you be Nutritionally Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment