Saturday 29 August 2015

Pan Fried Deluxe Mashed Potatoes

Pin It!




When I woke up this morning I was thinking just what I would be making for dinner tonight. Yes I know my brain starts as soon as I get up. I start first with "what's for dinner" ( unless I know I'm going out ) then lunch then breakfast. I envisioned a veggie loaf or veggie nuggets for tonight. I started with making the potato mash and let that sit until it was closer to dinner time to figure out the rest. At that time I started grating & chopping and started adding spices till my taste buds were satisfied. Being that I try to keep my meals very low to no cholesterol & calorie conscience, I know that cheese & eggs are not the answer, which we rarely eat now. I also knew I didn't want to add flax eggs or panko bread crumbs at this point as I would have to adjust my spices to make up for their blandness. So pan fried potato mash it became. Here is the recipe I came up with today.

Ingredients 

3 russet potatoes
4 cloves of garlic
1/2 small white onion
------
2 cups spinach
1 carrot 
1 whole roasted red pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano 
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp nutritional yeast ( red star ) 
1 tbsp broccoli seed powder ( optional )
Salt & pepper to taste ( be generous )
** use organic when possible **
For you spicy lovers add some hot peppers, hot sauce or flakes to satisfy your palettes :)  

Method

Peel and chop potatoes, peel garlic & roughly chop onion, add those to a pot a boiling water and cook till tender.
While these are cooking, chop spinach, grate carrot & diced the roasted red pepper ( homemade or jarred are both fine, just make sure with jarred to squeeze out the liquid before chopping ) and place in a bowl.
Drain potato mix and either hand mash or use a mixer and mix till creamy smooth.
Add potato mix to the bowl of other veggies & seasonings and mix with a spoon till its all well incorporated. Give it a taste test. Add more seasoning at this point if need be.

Heat a cast iron pan or a pan of your choice to med/high heat with a couple of tbsp's of canola oil. Once oil is hot add the entire potato mix to the pan and flatten mix to fit the perimeter of the pan. Allow about 5 minutes before the first turn to get the first char, then turn, flip and spread out as many times as you like till you are satisfied. Quick note is every time you flip the char will mix and soften, but that's ok as this is adding all the char flavour. I kept the last flip to be the top of the serving dish for a little crunch and to add to the presentation. 
Serve and enjoy

 I think this dish sounds more like a great use for left overs, and yes it would be but nope this recipe is a thought that wasn't thought through but tasted sooooo good. Sometimes these dishes are simply the best which is why I'm posting it. Lately my brain isn't working in my creative favour. I find myself blogging less due to this. Maybe once the school year restarts my brain will too and my thoughts will again flow and begin to be more creative. 

Now for how I ended up serving this mash, was up along side a huge salad full of dark leafy greens, nuts, seeds & fruit. Not a meal I would serve if guests were here as they may feel they need more, but for my husband & I it was a nice lite, simple & perfect meal. 
Now if there were any left overs here, I would maybe add this potato mix with more spices such as curry or masala with peas wrapped in phyllo pastry and make samosas. Mmmmm !! Next time :)
If you give this recipe a try, I hope you enjoy and feel free to switch up any veggie or spices to make it your own but mostly may you be Nutritionally Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment