Thursday, 21 January 2016

Probiotic Cashew Cheese

Pin It!


I just recently made rejuvelac for the first time this week which some of you may know. I wanted to test out a recipe using it instead of the probiotic capsules that I have been using in all my other fermenting experiments. I came across this cashew cheese one from Rawmazing. Link to follow. 

This is like a lot of recipes I find. We can ferment so many foods we are already making and loving. 
It's one of those things that make you say " why didn't I think of that "?. However like I've mentioned in previous posts, I usually buy my fermented foods & drinks so why would I think of it. Being that I'm just starting to ferment I am doing lots of research and I'm finding so many foods I want to experiment with and try out. Just like this cashew cheese. 
I have to admit that mine did not turn out to be as firm as hers did to be able roll in with my hands
in some flavourings. It was a sticky mess. But!!! The taste has a bit of tang to it and I added 
black sesame seeds, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, fresh garlic & green onion and salt/pepper. 
My texture is of cream cheese. Spreadable and delicious. 

Rawmazing's Recipe:

  • 2 cups cashews
  • 1/2 cup rejuvelac
  1. Cover cashews with water and soak overnight. Drain off water.
  2. Place cashews in Vitamix and process with rejuvelac until a smooth paste forms. You can add a dash of celtic sea salt.
  3. Line a strainer with 2 layers of cheese cloth. Spoon mixture into the cloth.
  4. Set in a warm place and let set for 24 hours. Form into the shape you want. I coated the outside with cracked pepper.
  5. Put in refrigerator to finish setting. Store in the refrigerator for about a week. 

  6. **As you can see it's making cashew cheese and then adding the culture which is the rejuvelac. Easy and simple. I just love it.




I think what might had happened to mind was I covered the mix with a layer of cheese cloth as I was seeing the mix was starting to drying out. It wasn't clear in her methods to me as to exactly what to do about that. But that's for next time. Right now I'm enjoying my first try immensely! 


Pop by her blog! Hope you enjoy and mostly may you be Nutritionally Well. 

Raw Vegan Cheese - Rawmazing Raw Food

rawmazing.com › recipe › raw-vegan-ch...


No comments:

Post a Comment