Tuesday 12 August 2014

Chick Pea & Edamame Salad

Wanted a lower carb & higher protein meal tonight as I ate all my carbs throughout the day.
Actually on that note* eating your carbs earlier in the day will help prevent weight gain. We don't burn as many calories dinner time onwards as we do during the day. This is a great technique to avoid our excess carbs turning into un wanted FAT. 
****Athletes you are not in this category of course but I don't have to tell you that do I? 

Tonights salad I'm using left over pre soaked and cooked chick peas and added some edamame. Then I used more leftovers to stuff portobello mushrooms. This is the salad part I came up with. 


Ingredients

1/2 c chick peas
40 pods of edamame
1/4 c diced red pepper
1/4 c diced red onion
1/3 c chopped parsley
1/2 c grated carrots
Topped with black sesame seeds
*use organic when possible*
Mix with below dressing and serve

Dressing

Tamari Ginger Vinaigrette ( not my own ) recipe below and website.

Tamari-Ginger Vinaigrette
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
  • 1 tablespoon low-sodium tamari (or other low-sodium soy sauce*)
  • 2 teaspoons lime juice
  • 3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
  • Chopped Kale Salad with Edamame, Carrot and Avocado - Cookie ...

    edamame salad from cookieandkate.com
    cookieandkate.com/.../chopped-kale-salad-with-edamame-carr...
     Rating: 5 - 5 reviews - 20 mins
    Jul 15, 2013 - It's loaded with crisp carrots, bell pepper and snap peas, and balanced with creamy avocado and edamame. The kale salad recipes on this ...
    You visited this page on 12/08/14.
  • However I found the original recipe to acidic. So what I added to this recipe was what I had on hand--- 1 tbsp of lite mayo, ( no I do not make my own as I rarely eat it ) 1 tsp of organic coconut palm sugar & 1/2 tsp salt. Just my preference . This is what I say about my recipes. Take a recipe and create your own, as any recipe is only a creation of your own! :)



    What I also added to my high protein low carb dinner was yes another left over. What do you do with leftovers??? Stuff, wrap and roll them. I'm stuffing tonight as I mentioned above.
    Red quinoa, my curry coconut stew I posted a few days ago on Instagram ( @enrichinglife ), sorry one of those just make no recipe things  ( story of my life ),  feta cheese, parsley, red onion & grape seeds oil. Added to that 1 egg, salt &  topped with a thick slice of tomato & asiago shredded cheese. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes. 
    This is what dinner ended up looking like 


    Ok I have to admitt. I love making & creating meals out of left overs. I feel THE best meals are from exactly that--leftovers. Why? Because everything premade has time to set and the flavours evolve. Therefore it's MY time to create. I Have mentioned in other blogs that I LOVE to pre make a bunch of different spreads and dishes for a quick grab to make any meal. This way most of your meal is already made. Healthy, nutritious and an easy make. Premaking really helps prevent running out to a ( horrid ) fast food restaurant for your quick meals of high fat and calories with no nutritional value.

    I hope you find plant based foods as a staple in your diet ( not "A" diet rather the foods you eat daily ) 
    For your good health, the less animal foods the better. Most of all may you be Nutritionally Well. 









    No comments:

    Post a Comment