Saturday 28 November 2015

Coconut Oil Biscuits 3 Ways

Pin It!


I'm loving this recipe from Gimmiesomeoven.com. 3 ingredient coconut oil biscuit. I took the original recipe and divided it into three to experiment with the flavours. Being that I had never made these until today, first I needed to know what the original tasted like and then I started thinking of dividing it up, because my brain was going nuts with other ingredients. 
Below is the original/base recipe and the ingredients I added to the other two.

Original Recipe
Ingredients

Dough ball one:
2 cups self rising flour
1/4 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup coconut milk
( the original recipe called for carton coconut milk, I only had a can of lite coconut milk, I'm thinking the carton would produce a fluffier biscuit. However these were still amazing )

Dough ball two:
Dough ball one plus
2 small green onions chopped
1/3 cup Daiya cheddar cheese

Dough ball three:
Dough ball one plus
4 black olives chopped
2 small green onions chopped
2 pieces of sun dried tomato ( with out oil ) chopped

**use organic when possible
Yields 12 biscuits ( I ended up with a bakers dozen )

Method

Heat oven to 425F ( on convection to bake the two sheets or on bake to bake each pan seperately ).
Spray two baking sheets with oil and set aside. 
Place flour with the coconut oil ( solid not melted ) into a bowl and cut in with a pastry cutter, till it resembles a crumble. Two forks work great too.
Add the milk and combine till it forms a ball. 
Divide dough into three.
Sprinkler cutting board and the top of the dough with flour ( I decided to use coconut flour ). Just keeping up with the theme :) you can use any flour you like. 
Roll out original recipe to 1/2 inch thick. Use a 2 inch wide cup or can if you don't have a biscuit cutter.
Cut 4 pieces and place onto the greased baking sheet.
For dough ball two & three add each of their ingredients to their portion and repeat the rest of the process as you did with the original recipe. 
Bake sheets for approx 15-20 minutes. Till the biscuits have risen and turned golden brown.

Ok first this recipe is brilliant. I'm not a baker unless I follow a recipe. So to take something so amazing and then make it my own, is always a highlite for me. As I always say " any recipe is a beginning of ones own new creation". I mean after all we do need ideas to work from. Don't get me wrong, I do create from scratch most of the time, but when I'm trying to create something new and my head is just not working, I do need to research some ideas. This is when the NEW creation happens and this is cooking. 
This is why I love left overs so much. The hard work is done. All you have to do is build and create from there. Most of my best meals are created with just that. I premake sauces, dips and keep every left over. This way I have lots of ingredients to work with and to create with. 

Hope you give this amazing and delicious recipe a try. Try adding a few of your favourite ingredients. Just use what you have on hand. Really almost anything will go. Or try them as is. 
Hope you enjoy as mush as my family did and does. I think it's going to be a fight for the last few. 

This recipe will definitely be added to our annual Christmas Eve family appie night.

No comments:

Post a Comment