Monday 23 November 2015

Marinated Baked Mushroom Strips




I was looking for something different to add to my sandwich that would hopefully add a little depth in flavour. So meaty, smoky & salty it was.


Ingredients 

2 portobello mushrooms
2 tsp braggs liquid soy
1/2 tsp garlic powder
*1/2 tsp liquid smoke 
1 tbsp sesame seed oil 

**use organic when possible
*note For a more smokier taste add more liquid smoke. I would think 1/2-1 tsp should be enough without over powering the other flavours.

Method

Heat oven to 375 F
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray a little olive oil.
Add all ingredients except mushrooms to a bowl and mix. 
Wipe each mushroom with a dry dish towel or napkin to remove any dirt. Remove stems or keep them, you choose.
Slice the mushrooms between 1/8 to a 1/4 inch thick. 
Add the sliced mushrooms to the bowl and gently stir till each mushroom piece on both sides are coated. 
Let sit to marinate for about 15 minutes or longer giving it a few stirs. I found a rubber spatula worked the best being that there isn't a lot to soak in. It scrapes down the sides to help coat every piece evenly.
Place each piece without overlapping onto the baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes flipping sides 1/2 way through. 
*note The thinner the slices the crunchier they will be. However you will have to adjust your time to make sure the slices don't burn. I didn't go to thin as I was afraid I'd break to many of the slices. 

I do have to admit these did not make it onto any sandwich. They were tasted and snacked on till there were maybe 10 smaller pieces, so they ended up chopped and topped onto the cauliflower mash that was apart of dinner tonight. However THE BEST PART, was when my 11 year old came home from school I asked her if she wanted to try some bacon. She said sure, took a smaller crispier piece and said Mmmmm that's good but asked "really what is it"? Cause she knows I'm not cooking bacon. When I said mushroom her eyes widen from shock then tried another piece. The second piece wasn't as crispy and then it was over lol. But she tried it which thrilled me and that's all I ever ask. 
Making a big batch of these one day can really go a long ways throughout the week. They would be great added to so many different dishes. Pizza, pasta, salads, wraps and more.
Hope you enjoy and may you be Nutritionally Well 



No comments:

Post a Comment