Saturday 2 July 2016

Donuts

Pin It!

The healthier donut. AND it's sugar free. 


There is no need to waste your juice pulp. Save them to use in other recipes. I use mine for making dehydrated crackers and breads, soups and yes even donuts. The recipes are endless but here is what I used this today.

Ingredients:

1 cup of apple & carrot juice pulp ( 3 apples + 1 lrg carrot approx )
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 large banana
2 tbsp shredded coconut
1 1/2 cups of flour of your choice. ( I was short on flour so I used a mix of all purpose, sell rising & whole wheat equally )
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon 
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup of cashew milk
**use organic when possible**

Method:

Heat oven to 350 F
Melt the coconut oil
Mash the banana
Add all ingredients except milk and mix
Add the milk and mix well
Grease your pans
I used 2 donut pans. One regular size of six and a mini one of 12. Fill the pans to the top. Making sure not to cover the middle , otherwise the donut hole will only be on one side of the donut.
There was a little mix left over to make 2 muffins too. 2 regular size donuts pans would work just as well. I just wanted to try both sizes.
Bake for about 10 minutes. Check to see if they are ready with a tooth pick. If it comes out dry then they are done. If some dough is stuck on the tooth pic leave in for another 2-3 minutes and check them again.



Place on a cooling rack to cool and start making your icing if you choose to use one.
I just made a very simple on. I used a seed butter mix ( tahini will work just as well ) and mixed it with a little maple syrup. The topping is unsweetened shredded coconut and lemon zest. In the first picture I even used some dried edible flowers to pretty it up. 


Simple and easy stuff. This healthy version of a donut is moist, delicious and in my opinion, expectable to eat for breakfast and that's exactly what happened this morning. yummy yummy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment