Tuesday 7 June 2016

Butternut Squash & Sun Dried Tomato Sauce

Pin It!


  I've been eye ball'n the butternut squash for awhile now in my local grocery store and decided it was time to pick one up.  I have only cooked with it a few times and I wasn't to sure what I was going to do with it. Do you ever keep passing the same veggie by because you don't know what to do with them or how to incorporate them into a meal? I encourage you to just buy them and give them a try. You just never know, you might create your next best delicious dish yet.
  My first thought was to roast the squash but it's to hot for the oven to be on right now so boiling the squash was my other option. I came to the conclusion that butternut squash and sun dried tomatoes were the two that were going to decide the fate of this recipe which I still didn't know what it was going to be yet. This is WHY I LOVE cooking. Stuff just happens, flavours come together and a meal is made. I am so glad I wrote down the ingredients so I could make this again. ( AKA why I blog ) A simple sauce that I must say is absolutely DELICIOUS happened and my hubby ate it with some fettuccini noodles where I ate mine with some zoodles. Sadly my picky eater of 11 years old only gave it a 3 out of 10. Ha ha but us parents were a solid 10. Being she doesn't even like a plain tomato sauce, I understand. It's not the flavour of her choice but I always make her try something new because she just might like it. Kids will always say "ew" before trying something they are not sure of. I think I should start blind folding the taste testing. As for now, here is this simple recipe for this gorgeous sauce.





Ingredients:

2 cups cooked butternut squash
1/3 cup onion
1 large garlic clove
1/3 cup sun dried tomato ( in oil )
1 tsp dried mustard
1/2 tsp paprika 
1 tsp salt
1/2 pepper
1 tsp braggs liquid soy
1/3 cup lite coconut milk
**use organic when possible**

Method:

Cut the squash in 1/2 
Peel and remove the seeds 
Cut the squash into cubes 
Bake or boil till tender
Add all ingredients to a high speed blender. I used my vitamix 
Puree till smooth
Serve hot or cold


Adding some sauce to a squeeze bottle makes it easy to drizzle this sauce into a sandwich wrap, onto a pizza crust or over some nori rolls, etc. This sauce is so versatile, you could even turn it into a soup by adding some veggie stock. Ummmm, Now that's a thought for the cooler weather.
Hope you enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment