Sunday 20 July 2014

Boring Oats


   I love finding new foods. Many may have heard of this brand " Boring Oats " and are familiar with their products. It's a first for me and I'm thrilled to have discovered them. This particular product is called Mushroom Forest.

   It was the name that caught my attention first, then it was after reading the ingredients that I was sold. 
I often pop into Home Sense & Winners, the Canadian version of  America's TJ Max & Ross. Every time I go there I first look at all the new items they display dead centre right when you walk in then I make my way around to the candles, floral items then straight to the kitchen & food section. Somehow they always have something I have never seen in my local natural food store or grocery store. This is one reason I love these stores so much. 

So let's talk about why I think this is such a great find.

*First  I want to list the ingredients: whole grain rolled oats, quinoa, flaxseeds, mushroom mix ( oyster, shitake & portobello ), chia seeds, sea salt, onion flakes, parsley & black pepper. 
Super foods-- yup I love Super foods. Why? because they are wholesome, nutrient dense & offer an array of health benefits. Food that makes my feel good eating them and the great feeling I get after eating them. 
*Second  the nutrients just in a 1/3 cup serving-- 150 calories, 5 grams fat, 2 grams omega 3, 5 grams fiber, 23 grams carbs & 6 grams protein. 
What a great profile?

  Here it is made. Looks like a normal bowl of oatmeal minus the parsley flakes. However being that this product is called " mushroom forest " it smell just like mushroom soup, yum! The smell is definitely stronger then the taste. The taste is somewhat bland.
So how do we eat this? As it does sound very odd. 
My take on this is first I could eat it just the way it is, 1/3 cup of the mix with 2/3 cups boiling water.

I didn't mind it plain and simple. But I can't help my thoughts from adding these oats to several dishes. Being this is savoury in smell & flavor, how about meat loaf? What about soup? Maybe eat it plain and add some nutritional yeast? Going really outside the traditional thoughts of oatmeal, how about as a side dish instead of rice or pasta. Now that's switching it up. 

I can't wait to create some new recipes from this new food find of mine. 
OK WAIT!!!
 I couldn't stand it, I had to make something tonight for dinner with it before I finished this blog. I ended up sautéing whole mushrooms, garlic, onion & jalapeño pepper. Added wine wine with one 1/3 cup pre cooked serving of the Mushroom Forest plus a little salt & pepper and nutritional yeast. It was almost like a mushroom risotto. We loved it! So that's one recipe tried. My thoughts are still going, I'm thinking it will be an ingredient I will use instead of bread crumbs in stuffed peppers. Yup gotta try!

I hope you find something new to try and enjoy testing out some new creations too. Enjoy and may you be Nutritionally Well.

**Here are a few good reads I'd like to share on the nutritional value of both mushrooms & oats including their health benefits. 




No comments:

Post a Comment