Tuesday 12 January 2016

Crabless Mini Cakes

Pin It!





Ingredients 

1 ( 398 ml ) can of hearts of palm
1/3 cup red onion
1/3 cup celery
2 large garlic cloves
1 tsp dry dill weed
1/4 tsp salt
Pepper to taste 
1 cup bread crumbs
** use organic when possible

Method 

Add all ingredients to your food processor or mixer. I used my mini kitchen aide.
Because it's small I pre-cut all my ingredients to make sure they fit and chopped evenly.
For the bread crumbs I used up some garlic crackers that resembled a crouton texture. Panko bread crumbs would have been my other choice if I had had them on hand. You could also toast up some bread and use that as your bread crumbs if you don't have any on hand.
Once blended, place the mix into a bowl and set in the fridge for about 30 minutes of longer. 
Heat a cast iron pan or pan of your choice on medium low heat. 
Add oil once the pan is hot and scoop about 2 tbsp out and form the mix into a ball.
Drop the balls into the hot pan and flatten to form a patty, touching up the edges to seal any cracks.
Cook about 5 minutes per side.

Yields about 8 small cakes
** only 6 in the picture because there was some taste testing going on** :)

Serve them up on bread, crackers, on a sandwich, in a wrap or enjoy them on their own.

So let's back up a bit. 
What exactly is hearts of palm you may be asking?
It really is the inner part of certain palm trees. 

Why I like to use hearts of palm.
Hearts Of Palm are cholesterol free, low in fat and are an excellent source of vitamins & minerals such as potassium, copper, iron, B vitamins and Vit C. 

**Using crab in this recipe equal to the hearts of palm would bring you over your daily recommended amount of cholesterol. Causing concern for many for heart disease.

Where to use hearts of palm are in salads, sauteed and added to rice or pasta dishes or even breaded and fried. 
They offer a tangy vinegar taste with a firm but soft texture which is why it makes a great alternative un-fish dish like the recipe above. I would say they mostly remind me of artichoke hearts to give you a better idea. 

I hope you enjoy and may you be Nutritionally Well.


No comments:

Post a Comment