Tuesday 19 January 2016

Rejuvelac

Pin It!

First try and first batch of rejuvelac and IT'S AWESOME! 
This is another probiotic drink I've been wanting to try & make. 
I started researching recipes to see what suited me the most. 
Traditionally rejuvelac is made using wheat berries. I don't buy them so for me I wanted to make this drink using what I have most of, then see if it tastes good. So this is what happened " QUINOA" rejuvelac. I had no idea this would be so delicious. I can't wait to try a few other grains I use & love. 
But for now here's the recipe and method. Courtesy of Incredible Smoothies--link at bottom of blog
Thanks to her I'm on my way to making & creating more.  
** her picture here shows her using some paper towel with the jar lid rim. If you have a mesh top like I did you can use that also. You'll see that in my picture below**


STEP 1: Soak 1/2 cup of quinoa in a glass jar. Add enough water to cover the quinoa with about an inch of water on top. Cover with a breathable cloth or paper towel and secure it with a rubber band. Soak for 8 – 12 hours.
STEP 2: After 8-12 hours of soaking, pour off the water and rinse the quinoa with room temperature water. Rinse about 2 to 3 times. Drain all of the water out of the jar. Cover with a breathable cloth or paper towel and secure it with a rubber band. 
STEP 3: Set the jar in a low light, room temperature location. Make sure the room is not overly hot. Let it sit for about 4 to 6 hours. When you start to see little sprouts on the quinoa, you will know that it is ready. The tails do not have to get very long. 
STEP 4: Add about 3 cups of water (purified is best) to the sprouts and place the jar in a low-light, room temperature location for 2 days. Gently stir the liquid twice a day. After two days, 
Fermented foods are easily contaminated so make sure the jar is completely clean and the location you place the jar in is not a high traffic area for humans or pets. The final rejuvelac should taste like flat lemonade and have a slight yellow tint. If it tastes like sour milk, don’t drink it. 
After it has fermented for about two days, store it in the refrigerator for up to one week. I’ve been drinking about 1/4 to 1/2 cup per day, which is a typically recommended serving size.
PRECAUTION: Rejuvelac, as with any fermented food, poses an inherent risk of harmful bacterial, yeast and mold contamination. If you have a weakened or compromised immune system, I do not recommend that you make your own fermented foods, including rejuvelac. 
Be especially cautions of any strong, offensive odors or tastes, discoloration of the water or growths in the liquid. If you are concerned about the safety of drinking a batch that you have made, it is best 
to dump it and start again or seek the advice of an someone with more experience.
So here is my beautiful and delicious creation.
 The two days are over and the quinoa is ready to be strained out & discarded.


 

The now REJUVELAC is ready to be consumed.

I love how incrediblesmoothies.com states the precautions. However I do encourage you to try making this beautiful probiotic drink. As long as you know what to look for.
My recommendations are to always do some research before jumping into anything. Especially when it comes to bacteria. To make sure you start off on the right foot. You always need to make sure you know the signs of what to look for when it comes to something being good to consume or not good to consume. After all we are trying to get healthier not sicker and beautifully she has stated what to look for when making this drink.
To add to that, what I have also read is ***Avoid drinking rejuvelac if you have IBS, colitis, candida overgrowth or leaky gut** I haven't done extensive research on this but I have come across it on a few websites and I can see why they are mentioned.

Well off I go making some more fermented drinks and some cashew cheese with some of this rejuvelac batch. Hope you enjoy and be Nutritionally Well.

Here's the link to the recipe I used, plus another to refer to.

How To Make Rejuvelac - Incredible Smoothies

www.incrediblesmoothies.com › recipes

How to Make Rejuvelac, The Fermented Super Drink

www.superfoods-for-superhealth.com › r...

No comments:

Post a Comment